Thursday, March 8, 2007

Fun Home: A family tragicomic

Author: Alison Bechdel

Does "Fun home" sound to you like a "Mad House"? Well it's not. It's short for "Funeral home". So when I started reading this book, I'd a totally different expectation from it compared to what it turned out to be. It's a memoir, a very different one at that. This is the first time I've ever seen it in the form of a comic strip. Hence, making it short and concise. The illustrations are simply beautiful, except a few which I think are too explicit and could be avoided.

It mainly concentrates on the author, her father and their relatioship. Her father maintains a funeral home, isn't too much of a father and has a personal secret (not for long though). I liked the way the author uses the plots of famous books to tell her story. Otherwise, I didn't find anything stellar in the book. In fact it gets dull at times.

Bottomline: A timepass.

No comments: