Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Bhagvad Gita

I read these two shlokas in Gita and even though they may sound cliched, I think they are worth writing down. Here are the english translations (they sound beautiful in hindi and I don't think my translations come anywhere close but they do convey the same meaning).

1. One who shrinks from his duties but enjoys the rights, is a thief.
(Kartavye ka palan na karke, bhogon ka upbhog karne wala chor hai)
2. It is useless to worry over something and not do anything about it. (Karmon ko bahar se tyaag kar, man se vishyon pe chintan karna mithyachaar hai)

Both are very true, but the second one is my favorite. I've always believed it to be true. I think all hurdles can be overcome if instead of just brooding over them, we take some action. You are where you are because of you. There is a solution to every problem: the solution may be difficult. It is the diffficulty that we're afraid of and shy away from the solution, concluding that there's nothing that we can do about it. That it's our destiny; that it's God's will.

3 comments:

Anacrona said...

Nice.

Prajakta said...

Yeah...and u r responsible for everything that happens to you.


There is a beautiful shloka ...i don't remember which chapter of Gita it is, it says ( in sanskrit)

Udhharet Atma Atmanam ( u are responsible for your own upliftment, you urself are ur friend and enemy,both. Choose what u want to be )

Smriti said...

Awesome! I generally don't tend to remember the sanskrit version.