Friday, February 27, 2015

Yummy granola bars!

DSC_0005

I’m always on the lookout for some nutritious and tasty snacks; that can be stored; which don’t need refrigeration… I know so many qualifications! You know snacks that are perfect for your afternoon cravings and don’t make you feel guilty that you just gorged on half a bag of chips! Instead they make you feel that you just did something good for your health. So I thought why not make some granola bars that suit my taste. While searching for granola bar recipes I came across this recipe from Minimalist Baker. It was perfect! I liked all the ingredients, I had all the ingredients and it was simple to make. I was a little apprehensive on whether it would indeed be bars or would it crumble; but it turned out fine. These are more of the chewy kind of bars are not the crunchy ones. I love them whatever they are! I added a very small amount of chocolate chips so that they please my chocolate-craving senses!

DSC_0006

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter (I make my own)
  • 1 1/2 cup instant oats
  • 1 cup chopped and toasted almonds
  • 1 cup pitted Medjool dates
  • 1/4 cup chocolate chips

Method:

  1. Toast the oats: Preheat oven to 350. Spread the oats on a baking sheet lined with silicone mat (or parchment paper). Bake the oats for around 15 minutes.
  2. Puree the dates: Mix the dates in the food processor till they come together and form a ball.
  3. Mix the peanut butter and honey in a saucepan and heat it over low heat. Just warm the mixture, don’t boil it.
  4. Put the toasted oats, almonds, chocolate chips and dates in a big bowl.
  5. Pour the peanut butter and honey mixture on top of it. And mix. I found it easiest to miz by hand but suit yourself.
  6. Line a baking pan with wax paper and spread the mixture. I used my brownie pan for this. Put a sheet of wax paper on top of the mixture and then press it using the heel of your palm t spread it in the pan.
  7. Refrigerate it for half an hour or so.
  8. Now you’re ready to cut your bars!

Note: I love them as it is but the next time I’m going to try and increase the oats by 1/2 a cup or less and also add some chia seeds. I’ll report back on how it goes!

No comments: