There are very few things in this world that are healthy and tasty; and I’m happy to announce that I found one of them! These delicious apple muffins! They’ve the goodness of apple and whole grains (in the form of whole wheat flour!).
The recipe is from King Arthur Flour. Yes I’m a huge fan of theirs and the more successful I’m at trying their recipes the bigger a fan I’m becoming! I followed the recipe as it is except that I substituted the egg with ground flaxseed.
- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, divided
1 large egg1 tbsp ground flaxseed in 3 tbsp water
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour (I used the Indian atta)
- 1 cup Unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups peeled, cored, and chopped apples; about 2 large apples, about 3/4 pound whole apples
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease and flour a 12-cup muffin pan, or line with papers and grease the insides of the papers.
- Mix together the butter, granulated sugar, and 1/4 cup of the brown sugar, beating until fluffy.
- Add the flaxseed mixture and mix well, stopping once to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Gently mix in the yogurt.
- Stir in the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Fold in the chopped apples.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups, sprinkling the remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar on top.
- Bake the muffins for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the oven, cool them for 5 minutes in the pan, then turn them out onto a rack to finish cooling completely.