I was on the hunt for some simple butter cookies when I found these. They came out quite good; although a little more buttery than I would like. I liked the simplicity of recipe!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
Filling: jam of your choice (I’d some home-made mixed berry jam)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Combine butter, sugar and almond extract in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Reduce speed to low; add flour.
- Beat until well mixed.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Make indentation in center of each cookie with thumb (edges may crack slightly).
- Fill each indentation with about 1/4 teaspoon jam.
- Bake for 14 to 18 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Let stand 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire cooling rack.
Note: I’d to bake much longer than 18 minutes, I would say close to 30 minutes. To get the correct timing, keep looking at the bottom of the cookies. It needs to be light brownish. Otherwise it may remain under-baked. Thanks to my DH we made sure they were baked properly!