Saturday, February 14, 2009

Pedas in a jiffy

DSC01759

This is one of the quickest indian sweets to make. As we all know, indian sweets require a lot of labor to get the perfection. So such recipes are always welcome! I got this recipe from my friend R who in turn got it from here. The pedas are delectable!

Ingredients

  • Instant Dry Milk (Milk Powder) - 2 cups (150gm). I used the Nestle Nilo Whole Milk powder
  • Sweetened Condensed Milk - 1, 14oz can (396gm)
  • Unsalted Butter - 1, 4oz stick (113gm)
  • cardamom powder - to taste (I didn’t have any so I skipped this but I’m sure it would add a wonderful flavor)

Method

  1. In a microwave safe dish, melt the butter.
  2. Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
  3. Cook in the microwave for 3 minutes, stirring very well after every minute.
  4. After the 3 minutes, mix well again and leave aside for the mixture to cool down enough to handle. I put the mixture in the fridge, as suggested by R, and it took it out after 15 or so minutes.
  5. Once the mixture has cooled down, make small balls and gently press the balls and flatten them to shape. When I made the balls the mixture hadn’t completely cooled down.
  6. I pressed the fork horizontally and then vertically to give a criss-cross pattern on the pedas.
  7. Decorate them with colored sugar, almonds, cashews, pistachios or raisins.
  8. Let the pedas set and cool down. Again I kept them in the fridge overnight.

No comments: