Thursday, October 4, 2007

Methi Thepla

I got this nice recipe for methi thepla from Vegetarian Delight. The thepla was very tasty. I didn't have fresh methi (fenugreek) leaves so I used kasoori methi instead; they are dried leaves. Even then they were delicious. We took them on a camping trip and we were thankful that we had them! I'd made them sometime back and didn't get a chance to log it since then so I don't have a photo; next time I make them I'll upload the photo. So here's the recipe by Sneha.

What you'll need


Whole wheat flour - 2 cups
Rava/Sooji - 2 tbsp
Besan - 2 tbsp
Fresh methi - 1 bunch
Jaggery, finely grated - 1tsp
Sesame seeds (Til) - 1 tsp
Ginger - 1 inch piece
Garlic - 6 cloves
Green chillies - 3
Red chilly powder
Salt to taste
Curd
Oil

Let's make

  1. Wash the methi well, pluck only the leaves and chop it finely.
  2. Grind the garlic, ginger and green chillies into a paste.
  3. Mix the wheat flour, rava, besan, methi, ginger garlic paste and everything else except the oil. Knead it into a soft roti-like dough with curd.
  4. Keep the dough aside for an hour.
  5. Make small balls and roll them out (slightly thicker than fulka roti).
  6. Then fry them on a griddle(tava) using a few drops of oil, like the usual parantha.
  7. They are typically served with a light touch of ghee(optional), curd, chutney and/or chhoondo.

4 comments:

Manisha said...

Hey Smriti, it might be a good idea to click some pictures of your finished product and upload them along with the recipes. It helps novices like me who're following ur recipe for cross checking if what they ended up making was actually what it was intended to be :) Btw, I tried making Khandavi yesterday and it proved to be a disaster. Do you have a good recipe?
- Malla

Smriti said...

Malla, that's a good idea! Actually many times I wouldn't be able to take a photo and hence almost forget to post the recipe. So I decided to forego the photo part; but I'll try to add the photos now.

I haven't ever tried Khandvi because I don't think I'll ever be able to get that thin skin roll as I've tasted :). If I come across any recipe I'll let you know. Sorry couldn't help you out with this.

Smriti said...

Malla, though I haven't tried this recipe but I'd it earmarked since long on my blog as one of the recipes I wanted to try. You might want to check this out: recipe link.

Hasmita said...

Thanks for sharing this reciple, Smriti. Your blog looks beautiful!