Tuesday, March 8, 2011

One Day

Author: David Nicholls

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book – it was always hard to put it down! After every page, I was eager to know what would happen next. It’s neither a murder mystery nor a suspense; it’s a romantic story. So what made me so curious? I guess the way the author spun the story.

A girl meets a boy and then they go their separate ways. Okay I did oversimplify the story Smile but that’s exactly what it is. Except that the girl loves the guy but is afraid to say so and the guy also loves the girl but lives in denial. So before every chapter you ask excitedly “are they going to be together now?”. Every chapter is the same day next year in their life and makes you want to know where did life take them the next year. And it’s not just 2-3 years it’s right from their college to their middle age.

On the surface this looks like an every day story but I think the author has done a wonderful job with his characters. They’re absolutely normal – there’s nothing heroic about them and maybe that’s why you sink in deeper into the story; you feel as if you’re there. He’s captured the emotions at every age so well that I think each one of us can identify with the characters at some stage or the other. The story is very well written.

Bottomline: An excellent read!

No comments: