What you need:
1 cup black whole urad dal
2 tbsp Red Kidney beans/Rajma
1 tsp Cumin seeds
6 cloves garlic
2 inch ginger (I use ginger-garlic paste)
1 tsp Garam Masala
1/2 cup fresh cream (Since we don't get fresh cream here, I used heavy cream available at Trader Joe's)
1 tsp Red Chilli powder
3 tbsp butter
1 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste
- Pick, wash and soak whole black urad and rajma overnight in three cups of water.
- Peel and chop the onion, ginger and garlic finely. Wash and chop the tomatoes.
- Cook the soaked dal and rajma in three cups of water with salt, red chili powder and half the chopped ginger till dal and rajma are cooked and soft.
- Heat oil and butter in a thick-bottomed pan.
- Add cumin seeds, when it crackles.
- Add chopped onions and fry till golden brown.
- Add chopped ginger, garlic and chopped tomatoes. Sauté till tomatoes are well mashed and fat starts to leave the masala.
- Add boiled dal and rajma to this.
- Adjust seasoning.
- Add garam masala powder and simmer on very low heat for fifteen minutes.
- Add fresh cream and let it simmer for another five minutes.
- Serve hot with Naan or Paratha.