Friday, April 20, 2018

Chutney powder/pudi

26712079337_247d9f91cd_o

I’ve been on a roll making instant mixes and powders! Don’t ask me why because I don’t know myself Smile Maybe because it’s been a long time since I did this. As part of my list of to-make-instant-mixes/powders was also this item – chutney powder/pudi. DH loves chutney pudi so I thought it would be nice to try making it at home. That also gave me a chance to try doing something different! I used the recipe here. The proportion called out in the written recipe is a little different than the one in the video. I followed the written directions. The result was a yogurt box full of chutney pudi! Will probably last us a year Open-mouthed smile The taste is really good – the mix of tamarind, jaggery and chilli has got out well. It’s a little on the spicy side – so next time I will reduce the amount of chillies by 1/3rd. I might also increase the curry leaves quantity.

If you’re using your vitamix to grind this – I can’t say about the full size version, I have the S50 – then do so in small quantities. If you put it all together or even half of it, it’s not going to work that well. I know the hard way Smile. Eventually I split it into 5 batches I think and that worked very well. So impressed with my Vitamix Smile

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup chana dal
  • 1/2 cup urad dal
  • 2 tsp oil
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds
  • 10-15 curry leaves
  • 2-3 tbsp jaggery
  • big lemon sized tamarind
  • 1/2 cup dessicated coconut or dried coconut
  • 25-30 byadgi chillies (they are mild chillies)
  • 1 1/4 tsp salt

Method:

  1. Dry roast the chana dal for about 5 minutes. It gets a little brown in color.
  2. Dry roast urad dal for about 2 minutes till it also gets a little brown in color.
  3. Heat the oil and add mustard seeds, curry leaves and chillies. Saute till mustard seeds splutter and the curry leaves become crisp. Turn off the heat.
  4. Add the dals and the rest of the ingredients to this and mix well.
  5. Let it cool.
  6. Grind to a powder. Leaving it a little gritty is good.

No comments: