Tuesday, January 10, 2017

A man called Ove

Author: Frederick Backman

a-man-called-ove-9781476738024_hr

Wish you all a very happy new year! Every time a new year begins, I always wonder how one year had passed. Sometimes it feels like it was just yesterday that that year had started. Then I start counting on my fingers what all happened during the year – the good and the bad but mostly it’s only fun to count the good – and I fall short of fingers. That’s when I realize no matter what all happens in a year it always feels like yesterday… And I want it to be like that! So I enticed you with the book cover, laying bait that there was a book review to be read and rambled on with my philosophies…

With a new year, I’m so happy to start with a great book review! After a long, no a really really long time, I read a book that I just didn’t want to put down. And that was not because the author was withholding some suspense – simply because it was such a pleasure reading it. I absolutely loved the author’s style of writing and his humor! There were some sentences that were so funny that I read them aloud to my husband (poor thing they were totally out of context but he listened!).

Like I tell everyone when I give them a summary of this book, that a summary will not do it justice. It’s all about the way the store is written. Anywho, so the story is about an old man who has lost his wife and been laid off by his employer. With both these events happening in succession he suddenly find a lot of time on his hand and doesn’t know what to do with it. He decides that life is not worth living without his wife so he must take his own life too. The story weaves around his failed suicide attempts, how he annoys every one by being a purist and at the same time helps every body around him – even the cat! Every action of his is guarded by what his late wife would’ve wanted him to do. And that is just so sweet! Smile

All in all – I had a ball reading this book! In the last few months this is one of the few books (if not the only one) that I’ve completed and completed at such a fast pace!

No comments: